The White House mansion was constructed in 1915 by Martin and Clara Brown as a summer home in Wilmington, Vermont for their growing family. Originally named “Beaver Brook” after the bubbling brook on the property, the home was designed expressly for entertaining guests – a tradition that continues today.
Martin Brown grew up nearby in Jacksonville, Vermont and went on to make his fortune in the lumber business. In many ways, he represents the quintessential American dream; his story is a Vermont rags to riches tale. (For more information on the Brown family, we encourage you to peruse the book “The Browns in the Green Mountains”, written by the eldest daughter of Martin and Clara Brown. A copy of the book is available at the White House Inn reception office.) The home remained in the Brown family until 1965 when Clara Brown passed away. At that time, the estate was sold and converted into an elegant country inn.
Many of the original touches from the Brown’s home have been preserved, lending the property a special, authentic charm. The original wallpaper was hand-printed by French artist Zuber. Other memorable flourishes include the secret staircase in the Green Room, an original bank vault and an old fashioned call system for in-house communication.